The are common myths about mold.
My House Is Mold Free
Mould grows naturally in our outdoor environment. Even though mold spores are found in our homes and buildings we do not want them growing there. Mould is known to be an allergen and some cases toxic. There are very few reports of toxic mold inside homes causing rare health conditions. A better safe than sorry approach should be taken. Any mould contamination existing inside buildings and homes should be removed. The Mayo tests established that over ninety-three percent of cases of chronic bronchitis were the result of fungal infection, not bacteria as is generally assumed. (Taken from Dr. Michael Pinto’s book Fungal Contamination, A Comprehensive Guide for Remediation) Individuals with immune or respiratory problems, pregnant women, the elderly, and children may be at increased risk of illness from moulds.
Dead Mold Won’t Hurt Me
Dead mould can be as harmful as live mold. Dead or alive, mould spores are still allergens.
If I Don't Not See Mold, I Do Not Have Mold
Mould is part of nature. Every home and work place has mold. If you are concerned that mould is a problem in your home and you can’t see it, it may be necessary to have a qualified inspector investigate your concern. There may be hidden areas where mold could be growing. Common areas of concern are behind basement wall finishes or attics.
Toxic Black Mold
What does it mean if you have black toxic mold? The first thing to consider is how do you know it’s toxic? All black mold is not toxic and all toxic mold is not black.
Black is just a colour. Many molds appear black in colour. In fact, mold comes in many colours - every colour in the rainbow. Black mold (as referred to by the media) is Stachybotrys Chartarum. Stachybotrys has the ability to produce mycotoxins. See Stachybotrys in our mold type glossary.
Regardless of the type, mold should be removed as people can react differently to different types of mould. What might bother one person may not bother another. Mold removal is the best course of action.
If I Paint Over Mould No One Will Ever Know It Was There
Painting over mould just covers it up. When this mold comes in contact with moisture it will begin to grow. The best practice is to remove visible signs of mould before treating the surface with any chemical or paint.
My House Is Clean, I Don’t Have Mold
Even the cleanest homes have mould. Mould is a part of nature. The job mould has in life is to break down organic material and return it to nature. Having mould is a moisture issue - not a cleanliness issue.
I Live In A New Building, I Don’t Have Mould
The age of a home or building has no relationship to mold. Moisture is the key to controlling mould. Mould will not grow in a dry home.