- Should I be concerned about serious health risks from mould?
- What are the health effects of mould?
- How common is mold in buildings?
- How do moulds get inside and how do they grow?
- What is Stachybotrys?
- How do I know if I have a mold problem?
- What should people do if they determine they have mould?
- How do you keep mold out of buildings and homes?
- Can I make my landlord test my apartment for mould?
- Should I paint over mold?
- Chronic headaches,
- Eyes, nose and throat irritation,
- Chronic fatigue,
- Asthma/respiratory problems.
Mould is very common in our homes and buildings. The most common mould in our homes is mold found on bread. All moulds are not harmful. But infestations of mould need to be controlled immediately upon discovery.
Mould spores may enter your home through open doorways, windows, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems. Spores may also attach themselves to people, animals, toys, shoes, and carry bags bringing the mold indoors.Many building materials provide nutrients that allow the mould to cultivate when exposed to moisture. Wet materials, including paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wood products, are primary sites for mold growth. Other materials such as dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation materials, drywall, carpet, and upholstery, also support the growth of mould.
Stachybotrys is a specific kind of mold present in our environment. Outdoor Stachybotrys moulds help decay organic matter. One particular species known as Stachybotrys atra (sometimes known as Stachybotrys chartarum) is prone to growth indoors. This mould is normally dark brown or black in colour. It can look slimy, sooty, or even like grayish white strands, depending on the amount of moisture available and the length of time it has been growing. Many other common indoor moulds can look similar to Stachybotrys.
It is important to remember no matter what type of mold you have removal is the only course of action.
A visual examination is the most dependable means of identifying a mold problem. Musty odours or changes in health could be the first signs of mould in you home. Some signs to look for would be standing water, condensation on windows, floods, or roof leaks - all of which could lead to mould growth. Mold may grow in your wall cavities or attic spaces where it is not easily found. When unsure, call in a professional.Contact us today
for more information on our mould solutions.
First thing to do if you have mould is determine the extent of the problem. This might, and most times should, be done in conjunction with a professional. This might require a consultation only, but remember health is the most important part of the cleanup process. A professional will be able to guide you in the right direction.
Underlying problems that have allowed the mold to grow will become part of the process to clean and rid your home of further unwanted mould growth.
Buildings should be inspected on a regular basis for evidence of water damage. Conditions such as water leaks, flooding, condensation or excessive humidity should be corrected immediately upon discovery to prevent mould from growing.Recommendations:
- Be sure the building is properly ventilated
- Clean bathroom on a regular basis
- Wipe up spills immediately
- Remove or dry out flood damaged building materials within 24 to 48hrs
No. If you believe you have a mould problem, you will need to take pictures and document your problem, or contact us for an inspection by one of our certified mold inspectors. You may need to take the information gathered to the Rental Tribunal or your local building standards by-law office for help remediating your situation.